Thursday, May 7, 2015

On Top of the Roof

Leigh took off her pink scarf and draped it over the back of the couch. The house was quiet save for the hum of the refrigerator around the corner. "You can tell me what you want."

Sapphire thought for a moment. "I need to know what you can do and then I can tell you what's working and what's not." Her speech was guarded and she didn't want it to be, but she put the package onto the coffee table anyway, then brooded.

Finally she said, "I can't help but wonder why you're waiting."

Leigh drew the package closer to herself and began to run her fingers along the top.

Sapphire smiled drowsily. "Okay, that's good. What about the edges?"

She pulled down her scarf and dragged it over the left edge of the package.

"No, that's not it."

Leigh considered mentioning a knife or some scissors but thought better of it. She knew Sapphire liked doing things the long way so she turned the package over and read the first part of the return address: 889 Estuary Place. "I think," she said, "There's something about your frame of mind. It's good, but I don't know how to put this. It's in the gutter."

"Oh. Yes. Except it's a much better place than a gutter. More like the top of a roof."

Leigh noticed a loose piece of brown paper and started to pull it gently open. "I want to peek," they both said at once.

But Sapphire's phone began beeping with text notifications. "There's a bunch of people trying to get us to hang out with them."

"They want both of us to go?!"

"I think so."

"Do you want to?"

"No," she said. "I'd rather meet up with Sara. Maybe she'll give us cookies." She got up and headed for the front door. "I've got to leave. I just remembered I need to buy some batteries."

"So we'll get back to this package later??"

"I don't know," she said.



No comments:

There was an error in this gadget