Monday, February 23, 2015

Nurses and Names

This afternoon a nurse named Pauline came to our house because we're in the process of updating our life insurance. She asked us some questions, weighed and measured us, checked our blood pressure, and poked us to collect some of our blood.

I like to do what I can to remember nurses' names because I have a lot of respect for them. Working with people can be difficult, and when people are in pain, whether emotional or physical, they have the tendency to behave in ways they normally wouldn't. For example, someone who's hurting might get snappy and irritable when they would otherwise be pleasant or easy-going. So I believe nurses need to have loads of patience and endurance.

I especially liked calling the nurses by their names after our oldest child, Tamara, was born. I stayed in the hospital longer than most because I was still in a great deal of pain (forceps birth). I didn't have to remember their names, of course, but I thought it would be more personable. It's been years now and I've long since forgotten them. That's okay, though, because of Grace.




No comments:

There was an error in this gadget