Thursday, October 16, 2014

The Toys

Yesterday I took the kids to Walmart and agreed to buy them toys.

Trevor chose a remote control monster truck. Tamara chose a Littlest Pet Shop blind bag (you don't know what you're gonna get until you open it). She said she wanted two or three of them, but I said no. I was thinking, she has way more toys than Trevor, so one is enough.

She begged and begged. I thought, I'm the parent; I gotta be firm on this. "No," I said. "Just one." She wouldn't let it go. She cried and screamed and put up a big stink. I kept saying no.

A pregnant lady was nearby and she seemed the sensitive type, so I took the kids away from the aisle. Tamara's fussing got louder, tears streaming. She was genuinely upset.

"It's not fair!!" she wailed.

I bent down to her level and said, "Okay, let's talk about this. You gotta calm down, though, so we can talk."

She quieted.

"So you're upset because Trevor gets that nice, big toy and you only get one small blind bag?"

"Yes, I was trying to tell you!"

"You're right. That doesn't seem fair. Let's get one more blind bag."

"That's what I told you at the beginning and you kept saying no!"

"I know," I said. "Sometimes I get into a train of thought and it's hard to switch over to a better one."

The pregnant lady looked relieved when we returned to grab another blind bag, and Tamara was thankful I took the time to really listen and care about what she wanted.

Was this poor parenting? I don't know.

It happened the way it happened and that's okay.


No comments:

There was an error in this gadget