Wednesday, February 26, 2014

growing pains

A friend said to me once that life is pain.  The words stung me because they were true.

Human beings.  We hurt each other, even when we're not trying, and it tempts me to despair.

Today I clicked "like" on a blog post that was shared on facebook entitled Why The Christian Church is Not a Safe Place for an Artist.  Then a few of my friends pointed out that liking it could come across as disrespectful to certain people.  So I've been experiencing some grief over this because I do not like hurting others.

I have my own thoughts and opinions with regards to the topic presented in the blog post, but they're not crystallized yet.  Hopefully I can sort stuff out in my head and write on it in the near future after some more contemplation and prayer.

Facebook is weird because it's like an echo of reality, but it's not reality itself.  Conversations happen, but not as they do in real life, and you can't hear tone of voice or see facial expressions so people don't know if you're being gentle or not.

And when you click "like", people can only guess at your reasons for doing so without coming to a full understanding on it.  Furthermore, who knows if they'll even read the whole thing to the end?  I mean, there are an awful lot of lazy readers out there who will see only the title of something and start freaking out instead of accepting that someone's foreign opinion or story can help them develop qualities like wisdom and discernment or forgiveness.  Man, sometimes I have to read something four or five times before I understand it in any decent way.  Reading can be hard work, so I understand why people can get lazy about it!

But just like how people say stupid things in real life conversation, so they type stupid things into computers, too, and maybe even with nasty motivations.  Who's to say?  It just is what it IS.

When facebook hurts me, I like to ask myself what I can learn through the pain.  It also helps me when I remember my emotions can't always be trusted.

I'm learning that becoming mature involves recognizing I am a villain and so is everyone else.  It's one thing to know this on an intellectual level, but to have that somehow sink deeper into the heart... that's what hurts most.  As beautiful and endlessly fascinating as people are, they're also broken and faulty.

That's okay.

It's why I put my hope where I do.

 

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget