Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Lion in Between

Pamela and Ashley sat on tall stools at Divas' Bar and Grill wearing pastel hoop dresses.  In between them Pamela's pet lion sat on his hind legs with his front paws resting on the counter.

"I want you to be real with me," said Ashley.

"I am being real with you.  Brett Layburn is so hot.  Just look at this photo!"  She pulled a magazine clipping from her purse.

"His hat is funny," said Ashley.

The lion sat politely.

"Well, the hat doesn't matter.  Look at his hair!" Pamela said.  "That's more like who I wanna date.  Not Rodney.  Rodney's not sexy enough."

The lion licked her arm.

Pamela continued.  "But he's nice so I'm gonna keep hanging out with him and see what happens."

A waitress approached.  "Here's your Chocolate Delight," she said to Ashley.

Pamela leaned over and tried to see past the lion's paws.  "Mmmm."

"Anyway," said Ashley, "As I was saying, I think it's important for you to be honest about the crap in your life.  I mean, you gotta let it all out."

The lion shook his mane and made a loud yawning noise.  Pam laughed nervously.

"I've been logging all my own crap in my notebook and sharing it with whoever," said Ashley, "and I feel so much better because of that.  You don't have to do the same, of course.  You could choose one trustworthy friend and tell her your dark secrets.  Even then, you wouldn't have to tell it all at once.  You could just tell little bits at a time."

"But if I did that it would change the friendship," said Pam.  "I don't want my friendships to change."

The lion licked Pamela's arm again.

Ashley laughed.  "Are you kidding me?  Friendships should always be changing!  That's what makes life interesting and enjoyable, and that's how we become better people—within dynamic relationships."

The bartender approached.  "You know," he said to Pamela.  "I could sell you an elixir that would tone down his wild mane."

"No thanks, I use scissors," Pam said.

"It's not working," Ashley and the bartender said in unison.

Pamela smiled pretty.  "No, no, no.  I know what you're thinking.  Don't offer me any drinks for him and definitely not that... What was that Boca Loca drink you got for me before?"

"Rhyme and Reason," said Ashley.

"Oh yeah.  And none of that Rhyme and Reason either, thank-you.  See you later."  She stood up and left, taking her lion with her.

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget