Tuesday, October 30, 2012

about me

I'm reading a book called The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron which aims to help people get their creativity flowing in the midst of recovering from life's messes and wounds.  The author suggests some writing exercises and encourages artists to be kind to themselves while being cautious around anyone who, by their words or behavior, threatens to hinder creative recovery.

I'm going to share some of my work from the book here.  If you don't agree that I should do this publicly, you don't have to stick around.  Go suck on a lollipop or something.

Writing is, especially today, an activity I'm doing as a way to care for myself.  And I'm more motivated to write if I know someone's reading it, so here I am.

So now... some exercises:

1. My favorite childhood toy was my raggedy-ann doll (that's me with her in the photo above).  I named her Melissa.  She had a red heart sewn on her chest and wore a yellow flowered dress.  I think I became attached to her because she was softer than the other dolls that had plastic faces, and she was easy to carry.  One time I forgot her at a restaurant and I was so distraught my Dad had to go back and get her.  I'm sure I had many conversations with Melissa, though I don't remember them.

2. Best movie I ever saw as a kid: I liked Annie, mostly because of the songs.  I would sing "Tomorrow" over and over again, and I was rather upset when my teacher chose Jessica instead of me for playing the part of Annie the little orphan girl.

3. My favorite childhood game: Scavenger hunts.  I still really like them.

4. I don't do it much but I enjoy playing board games and cards.  Kevin and I did this a lot when we were dating.  We'd get together with my sister, Stephanie, and her husband Rob and play Settlers of Catan or Rook.  And I loved playing Canasta with large groups of people while camping at Saltspring Island.  I haven't played that one in so long that I've forgotten how.

5. If I could lighten up a little I'd... um... have more fun??

6. If it weren't too late I'd elope rather than have a wedding ceremony and all that.  I think weddings are expensive and overrated.  It's the actual marriage that matters most.

There are more of these exercises.  I might share them with you later if I feel like it.

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget